About the Course
Speak & Get Paid is our marquee intensive speaking course. The course is designed for individuals whose goals are to create a professional speaking business, or those professional speakers who are looking to “up their game.”
Throughout the three-day intensive, our faculty will work on every part of the process with you, including, but not limited to:
- creating your most unique messages
- designing killer keynote content that will leave them begging for more
- rapport building with your audience
- connecting with your audience to have them eating out of your hands
- creating compelling speaking proposals
- finding paid speaking gigs in your home town
- creating free publicity for yourself
- knowing what booking agents are looking for
- mastering your body, non-verbal communications
A fully engaged and experiential approach with master teachers, including individual and group participation, extensive feedback and video with a customized approach.
We have limited registration to 20 people, in order to have two groups of ten.
DAY 1 – CONTENT
“Some of the best speakers I’ve ever seen have lousy technique.” Don Jenkins – National Speakers Bureau
DAY ONE – AM FIRST HOUR EXPLANATIONS:
- The value of a killer title
- Explanation of the difference between a motivational speaker and an inspirational speaker
- Addressing Don Jenkins’ quote (above) and debunking the tired and confusing advice handed out by presentation coaches about how you should stand, move, breathe, dress and patronize your audience
- Using natural Motions and Emotions
- Emotional openings o attitude adjustment
- “TalkinginColor” connecting with thes senses
- Using STORY speak to capture the imagination and the emotions
- Making yourself memorable
- Emotional closings and calls to action
REST OF THE DAYYou will be guided to decide what to say, how to say it, what’s your point, where does it comes from and why your speech is different from anyone else’s on the same subject. This will include:
- analyzing your prerequisite exercises and determining your passion, direction, style and storytelling abilities
- a guided tour through the basic shape and content of your speech, learning to use “shish-kebabs” and modules to help you speak without notes
- delivering a three minute version of your speech
DAY ONE – PM
- You will expand your content and learn to use “riffs” to give you confidence.
- You will deliver a five minute version of your speech
- You will expand your content again, learn to “assume rapport” with your audience and use “lifeboats” if you get stuck on stage.
- You will deliver a seven minute version of your speech
DAY 2 – DELIVERY AND STAGECRAFT
“Most great speakers break every rule of Toastmasters.” Don Jenkins – National Speakers BureauToday we will cover the following four sections. You will deliver an increasingly polished version of your seven-minute speech after each of the first three sections.
DAY TWO – AM
- How You Say It – Congruence/Authenticity, Confidence, Voice Tone, Variation, Timing and Location
- How You Move – Attitude, Energy Quality and Quantity. Body Language and Facial Expressions
DAY TWO – PM
- How You Look – Style, Wardrobe, Grooming, Cleanliness, Authority and Approachability
- How to promote and publicize yourself in person and online. You will perfect your official introduction and one-sheet.
DAY 3 – PRACTICE AND PRESENTATION
DAY THREE – AM
PRACTICE AND PERFECTGroup is divided by 3 and participants do a 7 minute talk for just their group with coaching. Switch after approx one and a half hours.
AFTERNOONEach person does a 7 minute taped talk in front of teachers and Don Jenkins. Feedback session. Champagne!
3 Useful tools
- A teleprompter program for your laptop. I use Teleprompter, $16.99 from the Mac App Store and it works just fine
- A hard copy (book) of Roget’s pocket dictionary Thesaurus
- 2 BRAND NEW, NEVER-USED pairs of the most expensive, and I meanextravagantly expensive, underwear you can find